In an effort to shed a few of the unwanted extra pounds that we may have put on over the holidays, we’ve spent the past few months on the blog discussing diets—the gluten free diet, the keto diet, and the moderation diet. But, diet schmiet. What if I told you today that there are simple ways that you can healthily boost your metabolism each day just by eating?! Yes, eating!
Here’s why this is important. Anyone can benefit from a boosted metabolism, not just those who are looking to lose weight—your metabolism is literally the powerhouse to your body providing energy to keep you going. We’ll get to the increasing of your metabolism to lose weight in a minute but first, I bet that you didn’t know that low metabolism is linked to low immunity. A recent study found that when your metabolism is low, you are more likely to experience cold, flu, depression, headaches, belly problems, constipation and weight gain to name a few, besides acne and skin problems. A well-boosted metabolism helps ensure your body is functioning properly and has less risk of other diseases like diabetes, which is a sign of a metabolic disorder, or your metabolism not functioning properly.
Now to the weight loss part–your metabolism slows with age. A recent study just confirmed that the average woman gains 1½ pounds a year during her adult life—enough to pack on 40-plus pounds by her 50s, if she doesn’t combat the roller coaster of hormones, muscle loss, and stress that conspires to slow her fat-burning engine. If your metabolism is low, your body’s ability to burn fat is low and that leads to weight-gain.
One of the first things I tell the clients that come to me for weight-loss is not to starve themselves! Erase the idea from your head that eating slows down your metabolism. Eating any food actually causes an increase in metabolic rate. This is called the ‘thermic effect of food.’ Thermogenesis from eating throughout the day burns about 10% of our daily calorie intake, which is about 180 calories for a diet of 1800 calories/day. Starving yourself or eating less to boost your metabolism will actually result in the opposite.
But, you can’t just eat anything! In addition to the usual perimeters that I give my clients like, focus on eating a low salt, high fiber diet with an emphasis on whole foods, there are certain metabolism boosting foods that have proven to give your body a boost in calorie burning.
Here’s what to eat:
- Celery: When you chew celery, you’re actually stimulating digestion and adding water to hydrate. Both very important for an increases metabolism.
- Beans: Fiber and protein are huge for boosting your metabolism. Beans are rich in both.
- Almonds: Contain fatty acids that increase your metabolism.
- Bone Broth: Rich in collagen, protein and minerals, bone broth is known for supporting a healthy digestive system which is important for a strong metabolism.
- Chia Seeds: High in fiber, protein and healthy omega 3 fats, chia seeds could be one of the most powerful metabolism boosting ingredients.
- Chocolate: Yes, chocolate!!! Dark chocolate (70% or higher cacao) has proven to boost metabolism. Raw cacao is one of the best food sources of magnesium and magnesium stimulates the fat-burning hormone adiponectin.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Cider vinegar is a great way to boost metabolism as it helps you to better digest your food and absorb its nutrients.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon is unanimous with metabolism booster. It contains thermogenic properties which means that from the minute you consume it, your body automatically starts to burn more calories throughout the whole day.
- Coffee: The caffeine in coffee give you a short-term jump to your metabolism. When you need a pick me up this is a much better option than a sugary energy drink.
- Curry: Because curry combines so many different spices from hot peppers to cinnamon to turmeric and ginger, curry is a great choice for boosting metabolism.
- Grapefruit: Grapefruit is often tied to weight loss because it lowers insulin levels. But, its fiber and vitamin C contents also boost metabolism.
- Fish: Rich in protein and omega-3 fatty acids, consuming fish does double duty on your metabolism. Omega-3 oils lower inflammation and blood sugar which helps naturally raise the body’s metabolism.
- Green Tea: Green tea has been proven to enhance the fat burning process and raise the boosted metabolism over the average person by 4% over a 24 hr period. 3-5 cups of green tea a today can help you burn an extra 70 calories a day—that’s 7 lbs in a year!
- Hot Peppers and Jalapenos: The chemical in peppers that makes them hot is what boosts your metabolism here…. increasing your heart rate, make you breathe faster, and forcing your body to burn more calories and fat.
- Spinach: A great metabolism booster due to its high fiber content. High fiber foods like leafy greens can increase your fat burn by 30%. A minimum of 3 servings a day are recommended for maximum results.
- Water: Last today, but certainly not least, water is the starting point for boosting metabolism. Increasing your fluid intake helps your body to more effectively break down fat. In addition to its natural appetite suppression, water is your metabolisms best friend.
On this long list of ingredients above, I have stood by several as tried and true natural ways of boosting your metabolism for years. I constantly tell my clients to sit down and drink a big glass of water before every meal, I encourage them to incorporate a lot of fiber and leafy greens into their diets and you already know from a few weeks ago how I feel about coffee!! From now on, I think I may throw some dark chocolate in the mix! I hope this list helped inspire you to change up your diet and boost up your metabolism. XX Janine